Saturday, January 5, 2013

Seven Saturday Snippets: January 5, 2013

This is my first ever post to the Seven Snippets link up which is hosted by Bringing the Sunshine. If you have not had the pleasure of visiting this great site and meeting Andi and her gorgeous family, you are in for a treat. Not only is she a great writer, but she is also an amazing photographer. Please stop by and show her some love!


~1~
While visiting Bringing the Sunshine yesterday and reading Andi's Seven Snippets, I saw that she posted a link to site to generate the name of your patron saint for the year. I am a converted Catholic and I love learning about the lives and history of the saints and as much as I can about my faith, so I thought, what the heck, let's see who my patron saint for this year will be...St. Dymphna, the patron saint of neurological disorders among other causes. Very appropriate given Matthew's epilepsy diagnosis...hopefully this means good things coming our way, not more challenges.


~2~

As mentioned in my last post, one of my resolutions for 2013 is to write on her more regularly and hopefully gain some new followers. The best way I think that I can do this is to set up a schedule of posts and when they will be up. Here's what I'm thinking right now:

Monday- Writing Prompt via Ellen Stumbo
Tuesday- *still undecided and open to suggestions*
Wednesday-Wordless Wednesday
Thursday-Thankful Thursday
Friday-Friday Faves
Saturday-Seven Saturday Snippets

I'm not posting on Sundays, because that's family time :)

~3~

Photo: Don't forget our new virtual book club "YOU HAVE TIME TO READ???" will be starting up on January 14th.  You still have plenty of time to purchase the book via our Amazon store link at the bottom of the book study page on our website.  

We will be providing the link to the companion book discussion group the week of the 7th.  Be sure to check out our contest page starting on the 7th too since we will have 7 days of book giveaways! 

We have lots of exciting stuff in store for our MOMs this year! 

http://www.mommiesofmiracles.com/resources/book-study
Mommies of Miracles is starting a new virtual book club starting January 14th called "You Have Time to Read???"  I am big fan of Mommies of Miracles and all the work they do to provide a sense of virtual community to parents who are trying to navigate their way through the world of special needs and caring for medically complex kids. I am super excited about this new project they are starting and have already signed up to participate. I'm a big book junkie and that fact added with one of my favorite special needs resources is just a big bucket of win.
The first book up will be A Different Dream for my Child by Jolene Philo. A writer and speaker about special needs parenting, Jolene has a wonderful website, www.DifferentDream.com, where she helps connect special needs parents with resources they are searching for. She is one of the kindest people that I have encountered in this whole blogging and writing journey and I have her words of encouragement taped to my laptop so that they are there when I start doubting what I am doing in this journey. Her other book, Different Dream Parenting was a life raft for me when Matthew was first starting to get sick and we were learning more and more diagnoses and I'm happy to say that I passed it along to another mom who was just starting to venture into Special Needs World. I can't wait to read this book. 
The inaugural "You Have Time to Read???" book discussion group will be broken over a 12 week course complete with study questions . More information is available at  www.mommiesofmiracles.com/resources/book-study/
~4~
In an effort to step out and find some time to develop some new interests, I signed up for a Sewing Basics 101 class at our local fabric shop. I LOVED it! I can't wait to sign up for the next in the series where you learn to sew garments with elastic. I'm sure Matthew can't wait to be my model.
  
~5~

Tomorrow the hubby and I are hoping to have a movie date so that we can finally see The Hobbit. I say hope because we have been trying to go out alone together for months, but something (or a little someone) always changes our plans. If we can pull this feat off, it will be our first time out alone since The Hunger Games came out in March of last year.

~6~

I am thrilled that today I made my fundraising goal for the Special Olympics! This is my first year participating and I was able to raise $320. Aquatica will be chilling down their wave pool so that 104 other teams and myself will take an icy dip to earn all of the money we've been collecting. This event has already earned over $69,000 for Special Olympics Florida.
~7~
It's getting to be close to time to start planning a certain little boy's third birthday party. This year's theme will be Superheroes! Dad is super excited because I've finally picked a theme that is in his wheelhouse of experience. Guess I'll be haunting Pinterest from now until March trying to find all of the fun stuff that a party needs.


I hope that you all have a great weekend and stop by to visit next week!!




No comments:

Post a Comment