Sunday, August 26, 2012

Weekly Wind-Up: August 26, 2012

This is the first in what I am *hoping* will be my first weekly article. These are little things that have popped in our life and in the media that caught my attention. Please feel free to comment and discuss!
 
                                                                             1.
This was the first week of school for both the hubby and Matt. The first day was weird not having him home with me, but I found ways to fill all the free time by cleaning and doing a ton of laundry. The rest of the week ended up being harder because I missed him so much and I will admit I left the school teary-eyed. All in all, his teachers said that he had a great week, that he barely cried, and the biggest shock of all--he's become a napper!
 
                                                                             2.
 Florida teacher Jaclyn Ockerman, who has been accused of slapping, pinching and forcibly pulling the faces of her kindergarten students with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Lake County School Superintendent Susan Moxley recommended her termination to the school board back in July. Ms. Ockerman is appealing her termination next month and has been pulled from the classroom and reassigned to administrative duties until her case is resolved.
 
                                                                              3.
Toys 'R'Us has released their 2012 edition of Guide for Differently-Abled Kids in stores this week. This year's edition contains a list of 100 different toys which have been evaluated and recommended by the National Lekotek Center, an center devoted to children with disabilities. Maybe if a certain little someone continues to be a good boy, Santa might pick one of these up to get some ideas for Christmas.
 
                                                                              4.
 We are three days away from the start of the 2012 London Paralympic Games! The games will be starting on August 29th and will go through September 9th, and will showcase the talents of 4,200 athletes. Unlike the 2012 London Olympics, NBC plans to show only 5 1/2 hours of programming in the United States,with the majority of coverage not showing until the competition is over. Daily highlight segments will be featured on the U.S. Paralympic team's YouTube channel.
 
                                                                              5.
I am going to be fulfilling a long-time goal of participating in the 2013 Polar Plunge at Aquatica for Special Olympics. I have been wanting to get involved with Special Olympics for many years from when my younger cousin began competing, and now being the parent of a child with special needs I am even more  In order to plunge I had to raise a $100, and as of today, I have now raised $170! So I've set a new goal of $300 and I'm hoping to reach and surpass it.  Can't wait to be freezin' for a reason!
 
 
Hope you all had a great week last week and are powered up and excited for the week to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment